“Without a Home, Everything Else Falls Apart” – from Evicted by Matt Desmond
On November 18, join a special Nurture after church with FCUCC member Robert Burns, a housing expert, and members of the Home For All Task Force to discuss the challenges laid bare in Matt Desmond’s book, “Evicted”. In the nurture we’ll explore some of these issues and how they apply to DC. You do not have to read the book to get something out of, and contribute to, the discussion.
There are many resources available for members and friends to better understand the housing plight of low income families, including:
- The book “Evicted” by Matt Desmond – the library has three copies to check out.
- A small, powerful exhibit at the National Building Museum. See the museum’s website.
- Many YouTube videos of varying length. Search for “Evicted Matt Desmond” in YouTube.
- An August 6 piece in the WaPo “In expensive cities, rents fall for the rich—but rise for the poor”
- An interactive map of affordable housing being built and preserved in DC from the DC Fiscal Policy Institute’s website. https://www.dcfpi.org/all/affordable-housing-pipeline-interactive-map/.
If you have ideas, questions, related experiences or learning resources you’d like to share on this topic, please reach out to Janneke Ratcliffe, janneke1018@gmail. com or any Home for All task force member.