The Regathering Task Force recommended the following changes to our Regathering Plan (for return to live worship), which were approved by Council. These changes are based on observations made during the first several weeks of Phase 3 and the rapidly improving COVID metrics in the Washington, DC area.
Phase 3 Changes
- We will allow short visiting (with masking) in the sanctuary after the service.
- We plan open sign-ups, of up to 50 worshippers, for services on August 22, August 29, and September 6.
- In the online (pre-worship) signup form, we are now asking an optional question about household vaccination status. This is strictly to provide congregation-wide statistics for the Regathering Task Force to inform their recommendation as the church moves into Phase 4.
Phase 4 Changes
- On September 13, we will begin using open sign-ups with no attendance limit (instead of dividing congregation into in-person groups). We will continue to ask worshippers to sign up in advance to attend in-person services, so that we have necessary information for contact tracing.
- We will allow short visiting (with masking) in the sanctuary and narthex after the service.
- We will need four ushers each Sunday during Phase 4.
- We will continue to track community case numbers. If case rates begin to rise steadily, we will step back to Phase 3.
The completed updated Regathering Plan Regathering Plan Update and updated Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) FAQs Update can be found on our website. We acknowledge that we are taking a cautious approach, relative to other institutions. This approach is informed by our desire to prioritize the health and safety of the whole congregation and to ensure that all feel welcome and comfortable at live services. We are encouraged by the improving metrics and optimistic that we will be able to further relax our protocols in the future. As always, we welcome your feedback.