No matter who you are or where you are on life’s journey,
you are welcome here.
you are welcome here.
Why Did Jesus, Moses, the Buddha, and Mohamed Cross the Road? Christian Identity in a Multi-Faith World, by Brian McLaren. Can you be a committed Christian without having to condemn or convert people of other faiths? In this book, Brian McLaren proposes a new faith alternative, one built on "benevolence and solidarity rather than rivalry and hostility." Read more...
The Stations of the Cross represent 14 moments in Jesus’ journey through Jerusalem, from condemnation to crucifixion and burial. This unique exhibition across the capital invites people of all backgrounds to experience the Passion in a new way. “Station 8: Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem” is located at First Congregational UCC. The multimedia installation is by artist Leni Diner Dothan. Read more...
Maundy Thursday Middle-Eastern Meal and Worship Service, 6:30 PM. From table to trial, cross to tomb – a journey. Step by step, follow the way of Jesus, recalling the last days and hours. The experience begins with a Middle-Eastern meal and communing together. We then go to a garden, then the trial, the cross, and end at the tomb. It is a time of music, words, and silence. All are welcome. Childcare will be provided. Read more...
First Church is bringing hope and help to homeless youth and other youth in need of services in the downtown area through a weekly drop-in center that we are operating in partnership with Sasha Bruce Youthwork and the Downtown Business Improvement District. The drop-in center continues the First Church legacy of engaging directly with our community and working to address issues of homelessness. Read more...
Sunday Worship at 10:30am
Downtown at 10th and G, NW
- UCC calling Creation care advocates to the Peoples Climate March in Washington D.C March 27, 2017
- Commentary: That "Adorable" Special Interest Group March 23, 2017
- Idaho church explosion severely injures moderator and his wife March 23, 2017
- Faith leaders rally on Capitol Hill to save health care March 23, 2017
- A young refugee, OGHS ambassador, opens eyes and touches hearts as a voice for others March 22, 2017
- Two UCC churches named ‘Cool Congregations’ for creation care projects March 21, 2017
- For three UCC leaders, a rare glimpse inside Gaza March 21, 2017